Monday, June 12, 2006

Oxford vs. Clarksdale

I am so thankful to not be living in Clarksdale. For those of you who do not know my husband and I have a really rough year and on Tuesday we left Clarksdale and didn't look back. I am looking for a new job and I hope that I can find somewhere we will be happy, safe, and feel comfortable even leaving the house. I debated for a long time about whether to leave my school-- I felt like I made a committment to Higgins for two years, but I knew if we continued living there I would burn out. I feel like I am breathing good air for the first time in a long time. I cannot beleieve the events of this past year. The things I have accepted and watched, the things I have witnessed, the things I have gotten used to-- is scary, real scary. I never thought I would watch a student get paddled and just sit by and watch. Moreover, I sent students to the office and they got paddled. Getting used to watching disrespect displayed between teacher, students, and adminstration. I am not saying there were not good moments, but after the intial shock of witnessing these events-- I got used to them. Even calling people and telling them about daily activities (going shopping, work, etc.) becomes a story.

In comparison, Oxford may be expensive but life is so easy here. My husband and I can go to a restaurant without an altercation and we have yet to recieve a threatning phone call. Parents don't hit their children in public and in general people are pretty nice to each other. People are more curious than insulting to my husband when he is speaking french. My husband is extremely happy here-- which makes me happy. Since Clarksdale was his first experience in America-- it was pretty schocking for him. I just kept telling him that not all of America is like Mississippi. I cannot beleive I spent a year of my life in a place like Clarksdale, and I pray for those who have to spend their lives there. With everything that I tried to teach-- that is the only thing I managed to get through to the students. The world is so much bigger than Clarksdale, and I will always read the autobiographies that they wrote about the colleges they will attend in other states!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home